The Chang Family Compound is the private mansion of Chang family. It was said that one courtyard of Qiao family is equal to two streets of Chang family. The constructing scale of Chang Family Compound is the first of its kinds in Shanxi province.
Actually Chang Family Compound is a splendid group of constructions of northern folk houses in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), and at the same time, it is the largest one in scale among so many compounds of Shanxi merchants.
The owners of Chang’s Compound, the Chang family, were among the well-known Shanxi businessmen in the Qing Dynasty. In ancient China, there were a large number of people who were both government officials and businessmen; or they were officials and scholars.
Chang family has been dealing with the foreign trade of tea, especially for Russia. They opened a 10,000 meters long tea road from Fujian province to Pingyao Chang’s Mansion and to Moscow. After the great efforts of generations, the prosperity of the household kept for over 150 years.
The tall gateway faces the east, surrounded by a river outside, the white stone arch bridge set up at the entrance of the gate. A flagstone against the gate is stretching from east to west. The repaired houses rank in rows. A 100-acres garden corresponds with the houses.
In every courtyard of Chang's Compound, you are provided with the chance to enjoy brick, wood and stone sculptures. The inscriptions on these sculptures are verses, adages or patterns of flowers like plums, orchids and chrysanthemum. These sculptures are considered the most elaborate examples of the Qing Dynasty's building art.